All charges dismissed through negotiations with Assistant United States Attorney.
Washington DC Assault Lawyer
In DC, assault can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony, as simple assault or aggravated assault, depending on the circumstances of the incident leading to arrest. Generally speaking, one thinks of assault charges as the result of a physical altercation, but in fact, assault charges can come even from the threat of violence, when no physical contact actually occurred. If convicted of assault in DC, one faces not only fines, jail, and probation, but is plagued by a criminal record. If you have been accused of assault, you need the help of a qualified DC assault lawyer to defend against your criminal charge. Assault charges often come as a result of conflicting testimony about who was the instigator and who was acting in self-defense. A DC assault lawyer can help you tell your side of the story.
Types of Assault Charges
Assault charges in DC vary in severity from misdemeanor simple assault to felony aggravated assault. Each of these assault charges carries the potential for heavy fines and significant jail time, and all invoke a criminal record for a violent crime.
- Simple Assault – In DC, simple assault is a misdemeanor offense resulting from an assault or threat of assault that results in minimal injury to the alleged victim. It is important to note that one may be charged with simple assault in DC by the mere threat of violence with the apparent means to actually carry out the threat. Contact need not actually occur to warrant a simple assault charge. Simple assault in DC is punishable by a maximum fine of $1,000 and up to 180 days in jail.
- Assault with Significant Injury – Assault with significant injury is a more serious offense than simple assault, leading to a sentence of up to $12,500 in fines and 3 years behind bars. A person may be charged with assault with significant injury in DC if their actions injured a victim severely enough to warrant hospitalization or to necessitate immediate medical attention. Furthermore, if a person knew his actions were likely to result in serious injury to the victim, they may be charged with assault with significant injury.
- Aggravated Assault – DC aggravated assault is considered the most serious assault offense in the District. Aggravated assault is a felony charge resulting from an altercation that inflicts serious injury with the loss of consciousness, prolonged or permanent disfigurement, extreme pain, or risk of death. Aggravated assault in DC is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $25,000 fine, but even the attempt alone carries significant penalties—up to 5 years in prison and a $12,500 fine.
- Domestic Violence
- Assault On an Officer
- Civil Protection Orders
Contact an Attorney
A DC assault lawyer can carefully evaluate your case and your charge to craft the best possible defense. Whether bringing about reduced charges, getting the charges against you dropped and the case dismissed, or defending you at trial to bring an acquittal, a DC assault attorney can tailor the defense to your unique case, bringing about the best possible result. You should consult a DC assault attorney and begin protecting yourself today.
Shawn Sukumar in His Own Words
Below is a link to a question-and-answer page excerpted from an interview with Shawn Sukumar in which he discusses assault and domestic violence cases.
- About Assault Cases
- About Domestic Violence Cases
- About Stalking Cases
- About Civil Protection Orders
- Sentencing Factors
- Post Arrest Process
By: Luis T.
Would Absolutely Recommend This Office
My name is Luis and I was charged with Assault and with threats involving a weapon due to accusations by my wife’s family. The family gave false accusations in Maryland and DC. I found Price Benowitz online and hired Shawn Sukumar to help me with my cases. The DC was complicated and took a long time but the attorney was very patient, took the case to Trail and I am very happy to say that we won the trial and I left with no charges. The staff was very helpful. They helped me with translating every time I called and went to the office I would absolutely recommend this office. Mi nombre es Luis y fui cargado con agresión y amenazas con arma. La familia de mi ex esposa hizo falsas acusaciones en Maryland Y DC. Encontré la oficina de Price Benowitz por internet y contrate a Shawn Sukumar para que ayudaran con los casos. El caso de DC fue un poco largo y complicado pero el abogado tuvo paciencia, llevo el caso a juicio y quede limpio y sin cargos en el caso. Las secretarias eran muy amables y los traductores me ayudaron con la traducción cada vez que iba a la oficina y llamaba. Definitivamente recomendaría a la oficina.